Thursday, June 6, 2013

May: In Which I Officially End PT

After 10 long months, I had my last PT appointment last week. I am healed and no longer 'injured' -- acutely, at least. I will always have to baby this hamstring and take extra precautions. But I am officially 'all running' now and am going to begin to progress up to higher mileage - but very very slowly.

Hudson River Greenway

I also went on a work trip this month. To NYC. My second time visiting and I love that place. I was there for a week - 4 days for work and 2 extra days for fun. I had a phenomenal time and was able to get 3 runs in. 


 Hudson River Greenway - Again. Loved this path and all the piers. This was the end of one I particularly liked. It had these nice lounge chairs at the end overlooking the Hudson River and New Jersey.
 
 New World Trade Center

Run #1 was my second full day. And it was hot. 86* and very humid. This Seattle girl nearly melted but I pushed through and completed a 3 miler. The HRG was only about 6 blocks from my hotel so I was able to get both weekday runs in close by. The second run was much cooler because I went in the morning. There were a ton of other runners out both times. But no one makes eye contact. I am used to the whole smiling and nodding at each other when passing another runner.
Yeah. Not so much here. 


The 3rd and final run was my last full day and I had the time to take the subway uptown to Central Park. I had to do at least one run there. And this one, incidentally, was the most like running at home. The weather took a turn during the week and thunderstorms, wind and lots of rain moved in. So it was in the high 40's, pouring rain, and I was dodging giant puddles the whole time. But it was worth it! 

The Reservoir

May felt like a good month. I feel like I finally turned a corner and am on my way to being back to 'normal'. And I am really glad about that. Realistically, it will be at least 9 months to a year before I am back up to 'half shape' and able to race again. But I am ready to take on this next part of the challenge and embrace my new reality. Cross training, strength training, you name it. I am going to be so on top of it because damned if I am going to get injured again!

 Wet cold run in Central Park in Blue. 

Looking forward to this summer. Ragnar is a couple short months away and it'll be here before I know it. Gotta get serious about the training for real.



No comments: