Friday, December 30, 2011

Bad stretch...can the year just end already?

So that "I skipped my run this morning?" Yeah...it's kind of led to a bad stretch of sorts. I was able to get a couple runs in last week but then we went out of town for the holiday and it was hard to keep up. 

When you only get home a couple times a year - you have to cram a lot of stuff into a short amount of time...seeing my mom, my 3 year old nephew who is more grown up every time I see him....etc, etc. Oh and the shopping. I hate Christmas. Like really hate it. There are two very big reasons for that grinchiness.....but I'll save that for another story. Where was I--oh yeah- the shopping. My hatred for Christmas and mankind in general means I put off buying gifts until the very last possible moment. Like Christmas Eve. So there's that. 

All of that led to not getting in a run for a couple days. We got home on Monday and I immediately threw on some clothes and laced up for a run. Five and half miles later, I was home and a little sore. Next morning, woke up and my left thigh was killing me. Was limping around all day like an old lady....finally realized I probably pulled or strained my quad. Started treating it and now 4 days later it actually feels normal. I haven't run since Monday so 4 good rest days really helped I think.

I am glad since I was starting to think I shouldn't run in the 5K I have scheduled for Sunday. Still haven't decided for sure but I'll give it one more day of rest and then go on a short easy run Saturday to see how I feel. If all is good, I'll still do the race. I really want to since it sounds fun--there is an optional Polar Bear dip (so not doing that--the lakes are cold around here! I won't even go in this particular lake in August so no- not doing it in January thank you very much) so it'll be entertaining to watch people freeze...and there is a beer garden after this one too. It is New Years Day after all. Nothing like sweating out the alcohol/hangover with a good run and then topping it off with some hair of the dog! 

No comments: