Saturday, December 17, 2011

Magnuson Series-10K Holiday Fun Run [12/17/11]

Well that was a change of pace. I've only done 4 races, 3 of them in the last 5 months. They've all been big races with thousands of people on city streets. Until today. Race #5 was a little community running club event. They do a race monthly at Magnuson Park in Seattle, which is a 3.1 mile loop in a ginormous park along the northwest end of Lake Washington. The race is a 5K, 10K and 15K -- so you just loop the course 1-3 times depending on your race length. There were only a few hundred runners and it was half trail, half asphalt.

That was definitely different. I haven't run on a trail since cross country in college. I live in an urban area and run mostly in the early morning, so I feel much safer on busy well lit roads. So needless to say, the terrain was a bit of a challenge. There were even a few mud puddles to jump over.....

I started off too fast....in the 8 min mile range and by mile 3 I was really struggling. I really had to dig deep for the remaining 2 miles. But I still did really well and finished within a minute of my other 10K time. I forgot to turn off my runkeeper app when I crossed the finish line so I expect my actual time to be a smidge less. 

Overall I had a pretty good time and look forward to doing the course again in a couple weeks at the Resolution Run 5K.

Stats: 10K -- 6.18 miles -- 58:33  58:19-- 9:29 min/mile

Splits: 
Mile 1 - 8:34
Mile 2 - 9:00
Mile 3 - 9:30
Mile 4 - 9:37
Mile 5 - 9:46
Mile 6 - 10: 17
Final bit - 10:21

No comments: