Thursday, September 13, 2012

I'm Alive - I Swear

Just sinking into a spiraling circle of depression and just an overall blah feeling. I really miss running. A lot. It's been weeks now. I had my x-ray on the 7th. It didn't show any obvious signs of a stress fracture so an MRI was next. Took almost a week to get word back from my insurance company on preauthorization, but I finally heard back today and was able to schedule an appointment. He ordered an arthogram contrast MRI so I have to show up for a hip injection of some sort of dye and sit for an hour, while I guess it spreads out through the hip or something. Once the hour is up, they do the actual MRI. Hopefully they'll be able to tell exactly what is wrong right away. It will be very discouraging to have nothing show up. I've had that happen before.

I worked for Starbucks all through my 20's. In 2004, I tore the cartilage in my right wrist. Nothing showed up on x-rays or the MRI and I was misdiagnosed and treated for tendonitis for 16 months. 10 months of physical therapy and lots of different drugs and treatments, all to no avail. I finally wised up and switched doctors about a year in and after a bit, they became convinced I'd torn the cartilage on the outside of my wrist. They did surgery and sure enough, torn right off practically. Long recovery - probably the most painful and difficult time I've ever had physically.

That experience most definitely colors my perception on this whole hip-pain-not-going-away-thing. I have missed running and can't wait to get back to it. But who knows when that will be. My Dr. says no full marathon in Portland next month for sure...and most likely no ultra Ragnar either. I am extremely heartbroken about that. That whole waiting, not sure what is going on thing, has made me very bitchy and sad. I really want to run....

The start of school has kept me busy for sure. My beautiful baby girl has started high school and she's growing up. First Friday night of the school year found me staying up on the couch waiting for her to get home from the Girls Vollyball game she went to watch with her friends. God I remember those days...going to the game on Friday nights...football, basketball...lots of fun memories. The first of many nights like that over the next four years to be sure.

Promise I'll keep checking in, even though I don't have any running news to report. Sad face. To keep you entertained, like it's keeping me, check out this Tumblr....Suri's Burn Book. "A study in Suri and the people who disappoint he". It's a hilarious gal who lives in DC, works in policy by day, and blogs as her alter-ego, Suri Cruise at night. It's mainly snarky commentary on celebrity children's sartorial choices and I can't get enough of it. It's funny as schmidt. Go there. Immediately. You're welcome.


No comments: