Sunday, September 2, 2012

August: In Which I Start PT and Feel Sorry for Myself

I can hear that 'timberrrr....' sound effect 
from cartoons in my head looking at these stats.


I began the month super excited about switching my focus to full marathon training. I revamped my plan and was getting mentally prepared. I was still running on fairly normal schedule, but was still in a lot of pain. I was also in a great deal of denial.....

I sort of limped through the first week of August; even got in an 11 miler. I celebrated my 1 year Runniversary in style - researching my insurance requirements for PT coverage and finding a good one near my work.


I found a great PT and started seeing her twice a week. I've had 7 visits so far and it was clear after the first that my pelvis wasn't aligned. She's been doing correction techniques at every visit and we've been working on strength - exercises to make the hips, glutes and hamstrings stronger so that it keeps the pelvis in place. I've gone on a few 'runs' to test out how it makes me feel - and see if there is pain. They've been walk/runs - 3 mins alternating and the running has most definitely shifted the pelvis back each time. Walking is ok - things stay in place pretty well and there is minimal pain.

It was a good thing the Olympics were on so I could distract myself from all that non-running and making no progress on my training schedule. At this point, I am still operating under the assumption that I will be doing PDX. Which freaks me out b/c it's going to be painful and I'll likely end up walking a good portion of it. 

The last few weeks have been tough. I am beating myself up on account of not being able to train, I feel like crap - some days I'm in a lot of pain; some days I feel much better. I feel like there are three steps forward followed by two steps back. I am discouraged and bummed that this isn't healing as quickly as I'd have liked.

My last appointment with my PT, she said it's time to bring in my Dr. -- she wants to rule out a pelvic stress fracture so I've got an appointment set up this week. We'll see what comes of it. So I've definitely felt sorry for myself this month. I miss running and it's hard seeing people out there and hearing about friends runs and races. Trying to keep myself busy and distracted. Easy to do right now...we are spending the long weekend getting ready for school to start. My little baby girl is going to be a freshman. And then turn 15 next month. I am so not ready for this! But we are heading into my very favorite season of all....Fall is perfect. It's pretty, the return of boots and sweaters is my absolute favorite, and it's my favorite weather to run in. Hope I can start doing that again soon!


No comments: