Monday, September 24, 2012

The Results Are In....

And it's not pretty. I actually got the results over the phone late last week and have been mourning processing ever since. I have a "superior lateral and posterior acetabular labral tear", which is a fancy medical way of saying that the labrum (the thing that goes around your hip socket that keeps your thigh or femur in place) is torn. But that's not all! Oh no, there is more fun to be had here. I also have "significant tendinopathy at the hamstring attachment"....which is fairly self explanatory. The tendons attach your hamstring to your pelvis, and when they get angry and inflamed, it's called tendonitis or tendiopathy (essentially the same thing)....

So first emotion here was relief. As I mentioned before, I have some experience with joint injuries, specifically, significant joint injuries that don't show up on scans. So I was relieved that whatever is causing me pain was evident on the MRI. I've heard of people having hamstring tendon issues that don't and know exactly what that frustration feels like and I didn't want to go through that again. Second emotion was a lot of sadness. For several weeks now, I've been mentally preparing myself for the inevitability that I wouldn't be doing the Portland Marathon next month or my Ragnar Ultra Relay in Las Vegas in November. But that doesn't stop me from being really really sad whenever I remember all over again.

Treatment and how long recovery will last largely depend on how much healing I can promote in the tendon with total rest. The labral tear will heal on it's own provided there is no further stress on it, surgery isn't warranted as it's not a big enough tear and there doesn't seem to be any cartilage that is just hanging out there that might prevent healing. Once the pain and symptoms aren't present when at rest any longer, I can start PT, working on strengthening and stabilizing the hip so that it can withstand the load bearing and the shock of running.

As for the hamstring tendinopathy, that is a bit trickier. These particular tendons don't get a lot of blood flow, which is essential in healing. And once it's been a few months, you start to wander into chronic territory, which isn't good at all. Unfortunately, there was nothing visible in the MRI that tells whether there has been any healing so far.....since this injury is 3 months old now, that isn't really that helpful. I had hoped to gain an understanding on whether the damage looked new or older...in other words, have I been making it worse? Or was it just really bad and it taking a long time to heal? I suspect the former....even though I cut way back in July, continuing to train really hampered the initial healing that should have been happening at that point. And the off and on rest since I started PT also didn't help much.

Right now, I am at 3 full weeks of rest and counting. At least 4 more weeks of it and then at that point, if I am asymptomatic when resting, then I can start PT again. Once I start PT, massage, strength training exercises and perhaps some utlrasound might help. As for drug treatment, the best thing for me right now is anti-inflammatory meds....I've been taking some twice a day for a couple weeks now and it seems to help. I did ask about steroid shots, as that came up some in my research, but he thinks that a cortizone/steroid shot might hurt more than it would help....After starting PT, and working through the tight hamstring and tendons (which are part and parcel to the injury), I can try to gradually ease my way back into running, under the guidance of my PT. Really, the one helpful thing he did say was that once I get back into PT, there will be soreness and pain and that finding the right balance of moving through that and pulling back when necessary is going to be key....

I officially told my Ragnar team that we need to find a replacement for me today. And I'm really sad about it....so to make myself feel better, I'm already recruiting them to form a team for Ragnar SoCal for next April. I think that will help with the injury blues - and give me something to look forward to!

No comments: