Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How do people do this?

I am officially about 4 weeks into my PT for this hamstring/pelvis issue. August has been a total wash....as in I've run a total of about 20 miles. I really thought that once I started PT and got the pelvis shifted back that I would be able to start running again and just build back up from there. Well, I was allowed to start running again last week but have only gotten 3 in so far. I am still doing a combo of 3 mins walking and 3 mins running. And doing 2 runs in 3 days really shifted the pelvis. It had been holding steady in place, for the most part, for several days, requiring only minor adjustments at my appointments. But after those 2 runs, it shifted a lot more and required much more correction. I could actually feel the difference before and afterward.

It's really hard not to be discouraged by this. Every time I look at the calendar and see the number of weeks getting smaller between now and October 7th, I get all panicky. How do people do this? Really, a half marathon would be painful now; I have no idea how I am going to complete a full. It's hard to know if I should even try. My PT hasn't put her foot down and when I used SmartCoach to majorly scale down my training plan, I half expected an error message to come up saying "Don't do it- there is no way you'll be ready for this and/or be able to prepare in this short amount of time"....It totally didn't. And that plan is decidedly less ambitious than the modified one I created.

My biggest concession so far, beside not actually running, is to switch my legs for my Ragnar Ultra. I will no longer be doing one of the toughest set of legs -- I'll be doing one of the easier ones. Relatively speaking, of course, since it's still two 7 milers and a 12 miler (as opposed to two 12's and a 10).....I did reach out to the Portland Marathon organizers just to make sure they wouldn't allow me to switch to the half. I got a nicely worded 'No way, Jose' email back....something about how over the 40 year history of the event, they've never offered this. And there were at least two pages on the website detailing how against the rules it is to just decide to run the half instead, resulting in disqualifications, being banned from future events, etc, etc. They basically said I should just run as much of the full as I can. Which is what I am going to end up having to do.

I guess adjusting those expectations now is better. Hopefully, a DNF won't scar the ego too much and I'll be able to pull it together and move on. There's always next year. I keep telling myself that there is a learning curve for this....and better to learn the "don't be stubborn, see someone when you are injured" and "moderation" lessons now. Overtraining = bad. Listening to your body and being smart = good.

So how do people do this? I guess that is a rhetorical question...but my best attempt at an answer is "One Day at a Time"....just like anything else, right? So that is what I'll do.....take it one day and one run at a time.

If anyone of my 3 (ha!) readers has any advice - please share.....How do you get through your injuries and stay sane?

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Injuries are tough :(
Portland Marathon 2010 was my first full marathon and about mile 16 mile IT band started hurting so I had to run/walk/shuffle the last 10.2 miles. It sucked but I toughed it out, oh and not to mention the constant down pour!
I guess the best advice is just to listen to your body during the race and don't feel bad if you have to pull out of the race early. Better to think about how long you will have to take time off of running if you overdo it now. But it sounds like you already have a great mind set :)
You can even decide not to wear the timing chip so it doesn't officially count?

Hope your injury gets better and you heal up quickly!

TheUnforgivingMinute said...

Thanks Cynthia! I am still slogging through...after this week of PT though, we've decided it's time for me to see my Dr. I should be getting better by now...so she wants to rule out a stress fracture of the pelvis. I have an apt next week and we'll go from there...obv if it is an actual fracture, I'll be pulling out of my fall races. :(

Good tip about the timing chip though....If I walk over half of it, I will most definitely not beat Oprah! But that is ok. This just means that I'm definitely doing RnR as a full next year!