Thursday, August 2, 2012

July: In Which I Run My First Ragnar and Nurse an Injury


Sad. Just Sad.....

Craptastic amount of miles this month. After averaging nearly 100 a month since March, this was a very low mileage month. Injuries suck. Big time. 

July started on a great post Rock and Roll Half high. I had such a great experience, it took me a little longer than it should have to realize my sore ass was not going to be getting better on it's own. I even ran a 5k before deciding I needed to take it easy if I still wanted to be capable of running my legs in Ragnar.

 Firecracker 5000 5K - 1st Midnight Race!

The rest of July was spent nursing the sore bum and planning and plotting for Ragnar. I had about 2 full weeks where I didn't run at all....I missed it but to be truthful, the anxiety about the injury and the mad planning for Ragnar kept my focus so the time sort of flew by. It's so easy for that fitness to go...take a couple weeks off and it's really hard to get back into the swing of things and not feel like you are starting all over again. Maintaining is SO much easier than building.

The remainder of the month was all Ragnar.....finished all my supply buying and packing lists...and got really good practice organizing a team. I wasn't the captain, but ended up being the self appointed 'secretary' since I like to do lists and spreadsheets so much. There was a lot of banter, ideas and plans shooting back and forth on our group FB page and I'm proud to say that it went off without a hitch. The slight snafu with the van rentals turned out ok and we all had an amazing time.

Fire Breathing Rubber Duckies!

I ran my legs in honor of Army SPC Nathan Wyrick, CW3 Frank Buoniconti, and Army SPC Aaron Aamot. And felt pretty good doing it. The last part of July was filled with recaps of all sorts....you can read all about my Ragnar experiences here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and finally, The Finish and Odd, Ends and Awesome Stuff.....


The month concluded with the decision, totally fueled by endorphins, to run Ragnar Las Vegas on an Ultra team....Gulp. Starting August with the focus on my full marathon training....and hopefully the injury will heal and the mileage will be back up to normal. Fingers are crossed.....

No comments: