Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Run in 14 days

I was allowed to run again a couple days ago. And of course, one 30 minute run/walk was enough to shift that pelvis back again. I've been to PT 5 times now and each time, the amount of shifting from one visit to the next has diminished almost completely. The correction techniques she is using and the strengthening exercises I've been doing every day have made things more stable and able to withstand normal movements, but the run jarred everything back again...

I had been going on some test walks to see how the leg felt.....and there was no more of the sharp pain that I've grown accustomed to. So I asked if I could ease back into running and my PT agreed I was ready. But it has to be slow and easy and I have to stop immediately if I start feeling that sharp pain again. My last appointment this week was yesterday and I won't see her again till Tuesday. Between those two, I will be able to run 3 times, increasing the running and decreasing the walking if I feel good. Right now I'm alternating between 3 minutes walking and 3 minutes running....I'll run again tonight and see how I feel.

My PT is great....I really like her. She's a runner too, so she gets it. And from here on out, it's likely that I'll need to be constantly adjusting and strengthening and evaluating as I get back into shape. But the easing back into things is taking longer than I was hoping it would....the whole month of August has been pretty much a wash. I will be readjusting my training schedule for PDX and submitting it to my PT for evaluation next week. I certainly don't want to jump back into things too quickly and re-injure myself. So we will see what she says.....trying not to think too much about how painful it's going to be to get back into the shape I was in. I already feel like my clothes are way tighter. Boo hiss.


No comments: