Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Injury Update

Still hurting...stupid pulled muscles. Finally figured out my insurance stuff, found a great PT near my office and made an appointment for Friday morning, the soonest they had. I am glad I'm going. This stupid pain won't go away and I have a feeling I'm just making it worse by being stubborn.

Plus, I really need to start treatment NOW. Honestly, I've waited way longer than I should have and at this point, I am putting myself at risk of not being able to do my full marathon in October. If rest is required for my treatment (holding my breath that it won't be too long), better now than later, that is for sure.

I am feeling a bit better about all this though. Like I said, I was in denial. But my running buddy Mike is just coming off Quadracep Tendonitis, during which he was on full rest for a bit AND crutches for a week....he thought he wouldn't be able to do PDX because of it, but is healing quicker than he thought so if all goes according to plan, he's still doing it. We decided that we are just going to work through the injuries as best we can, do our best to train through it and just hope that we don't die trying to finish the damn thing.

I had such plans for this first marathon....one of the reasons I waited nearly a full year between my first half and my first full was that I wanted to conquer it. I wanted to successfully tackle several runs in the 20 mile range, including a full 26 before the race. That is probably unlikely now. I have to stop being so stubborn and accept it. So we'll get as high as we can beforehand, stick together during the race and finish the damn thing if we have to walk/crawl.

Jess and D had a mantra at RnR--Beat Oprah. Didn't happen for them....and won't for us likely. But we'll finish. And as Mike pointed out, it only makes for an awesome PR for our second one.

Will update Friday after I see the PT. Crossing my fingers for good/not terrible news.


No comments: