Saturday, October 6, 2012

PDX or Bust...

I am going to try hard to not be sad and have a good time this weekend. Even though I will no longer be running, we are still headed down to Portland for the marathon. It will be festive and fun and my friends will be there. But if I am being honest. I am having a hard time getting excited. Part of it is that although I am heartbroken I can't do this first marathon, I never even got to start training for it, officially anyway. So it feels a little hollow.

And I am a bit scared that I am going to over-do the walking. My running friends are pretty hardcore. Jess is determined to finish and I think she'll definitely push harder than I will want to. Heck, she might be feeling so good she decides to run some or all of it. My hip is feeling better but I am terrified of doing something worse to my hamstring tendons. I haven't been in a ton of pain, but I can tell they are tight, as is the hamstring itself. Maybe I'll do a bit of gentle foam rolling before we go. I just need to be strong and stop when my body tells me to. I anticipate that this means it'll be about 5-7 miles total. We'll see how that goes...

Part of the reason we decided to still go is that it was my baby girl's 15th birthday yesterday and we'd planned to make a weekend getaway out of the trip. We had a fun mom/daughter day and then we had a not-so surprise party for her. My sister arranged with one of her best friends to have a bunch of her friends meet at the cupcake shop downtown. And we were already having our girls day so we stopped in to pick up cupcakes and 'Surprise!'....except it totally wasn't. iPad messaging fail -- stupid iMessage. I was texting one of the other girls' moms about the party and the whole exchange popped up on the iPad at home that little Miss Birthday Girl happened to see. Oh well....It was still fun though. So off we go....marathon/birthday weekend festivities to commence forthwith.

Happy Birthday Bird! I am one proud mama....

No comments: