Monday, January 28, 2013

2012 Goals: How'd I do?



My hardware for 2012

I had grand plans for 2012. I started the year off totally high from my first half marathon that ended up propelling me to over-ambitiously over-commit. To recap - my goals for last year were doable but a tad bit ambitious. I actually knocked out the big ones, with only a couple exceptions.

Train year round - for the entirety of the 2012: 
~ I was very consistent with my training right up until I was forced to deal with my injury....so half credit on this one.
Run 1 race per month- 12 races for 12 months:

 ~ Ditto for this one. I did a race a month until August, when I started treatment for my injury. The only months I did not race were August, September, November and December. Not bad for a gimp.
 

Run at least 3 half marathons: 
 ~ Done! I ran 4 half marathons in 2012
 

Run my first full marathon:
 ~Done! At least in as far as walking across the finish line goes. I walked it so it only half counts in my mind.....so there will be a 'rematch' on the 'first marathon' in 2013 I hope.
 
Become more social with my running- join a running club, go to Fleet Feet group runs, connect with other runners to train and race with:

 ~I made some really awesome running friends this year....I couldn't have survived this injury without their encouragement and support. 

My micro goals were hit and miss....I did knock about 17 minutes off my half marathon time in that span of time. But post injury, the pacing and speedwork took a backseat....I also wanted to learn to take better care of myself by eating better and getting in significant cross training. While I did do a better job of taking care of myself while training, I have learned a big lesson with this injury - taking care of yourself while injured is also extremely important. To that end, I am proud of how hard I've been working to get off of the 'injured list'.

Goals for 2013 to come....January has been pretty busy in my house and I just haven't had time for the kind of self reflection that has been necessary to write these 'Goal' posts. So forgive the fact that I've posted exactly twice this month. I'm getting back into the swing of things again...and now that I'm getting close to doing more running than walking, I'll be tracking and writing about my training again. March is right around the corner and that is the goal month to be back up and 'running' so to speak. 


 

No comments: