Saturday, January 7, 2012

2012 Goals

I am new to this running business. Used to run in high school and college but that was over a decade ago....I've tried to start running again at various points in my adult life, only to quit after a few weeks. It was always hard to get over that 'getting into shape' hump. It's tough to build a base when you start out so out of shape....it's easy to see why people who are overweight have a hard time keeping at it. It's painful. And it takes some commitment to get past that on your own and get to a place where it's habit, where it gets easier and where you start to have fun.

When I made the decision to start running again this year, I wanted to set a goal and accomplish it but I also wanted to make a lifestyle change that would stick. 6 months now and I am sticking with it. That is something pretty big for me. Challenging myself and accomplishing things I set out to do-big ones and little ones along the way-brings more self confidence and erases some of doubt I carry around.

In 2011- my goal was to train for and finish my first half marathon. I not only finished- but I met my A goal of doing it in 2:22. I also met my goal of setting up a training plan and sticking to it-every day. 
In 2012- I want to run my first full marathon. And accomplish a few other things as well....

  • Train year round - for the entirety of the 2012
  • Run 1 race per month- 12 races for 12 months
  • Run at least 3 half marathons
  • Run my first full marathon
  • Become more social with my running- join a running club, go to Fleet Feet group runs, connect with other runners to train and race with

First two half marathons will be the Mercer Island Half on 3/25/12. Following that 12 weeks later is the Seattle Rock and Roll Half on 6/23/12. Full marathon is slated for the fall. Entered the lottery for NYC so that is choice number 1. Next is Portland and if all else fails, it will likely be Seattle. Keeping my fingers crossed for NYC.....what an excellent first marathon that would be. 

Already have January's race taken care of with the Resolution Run....have March and June covered as well so next up is looking for Feb, April and May races....will probably do either 5 or 10k's those months. 

Not only is all this totally doable, I am going to try to meet some micro- goals as well.
  • PR's throughout the year
  • Working on pacing- staying consistent throughout a run, and pushing the pacing down to 8-9 min/miles consistently
  • Doing more consistent speed work
  • Incorporating cross training into my training cycles-yoga to start, perhaps spinning or swimming later in the year. 
  • Blogging-I want to figure out all this stuff so I don't suck too much at it.
  • Getting better at cooking nutritious meals so my body gets the fuel it needs to stay healthy and perform efficiently
  • Taking better care of myself-getting enough sleep, vitamins, stretching, using foam roller and stick, getting massages when I can...

Well that is quite the list...I'd better get busy!

No comments: