Saturday, February 2, 2013

January: In Which I Hibernate & Reflect

Last month was very quiet.....it brought a little bit of reflection and a little bit of regrouping. Overall, not a whole lot happened. I have been focusing on getting myself back on track and decided to do a post that covered all of the injury - total recap, timeline and current status. 

That was a good thing for me because it allowed me to get outside myself for a moment and try to really look objectively at my injury, what led to it and what I am doing to come back from it. Looking at where I was last August and where I am today was just the affirmation that I needed. I am doing this right. I am taking my time and the patience is paying off. I will be back. And not only will I be a runner again, I will be a stronger and smarter runner.

I also tried to objectively look back on the year and examine my goals from the beginning of this journey and how I did with them. It was interesting to examine which things I succeeded at and what I missed the mark on. Some of it was out of my control due to injury, however, I also wanted to examine why those goals may have led to the injury in the first place.

Taking a closer look was a good thing. It helped me re-evaluate my larger goals and figure out where I might need to put some focus. It turns out, the focus needs to totally shift. 100%. And shift it has.

No more craziness. No more Too Much Too Soon. 2013 is all about Building the Base. Small, reasonable goals. That are aligned with my current abilities (both injury-related and in general). Keep it simple. Build slowly. Keep racing to a minimum. Focus on strength.

I am ready. Let's do this!

No comments: