Tuesday, December 4, 2012

November: In Which I Get Closer to Running Again.......

Which, yay! I can feel it, taste it....whatever. Point is, I am making progress!! That I can feel.

November raged in with a ginormous 'Frankenstorm' on the East Coast. Hurricane Sandy came ashore in New Jersey and the outlying areas of NYC just before Halloween. Less than a week before my #1 dream marathon was scheduled to take place.

One of the many crazy Post-Sandy flood pictures

In the aftermath, NYRR and the city of New York decided that the marathon would go on. Which resulted in a backlash so loud and impossible to ignore that Mayor Bloomberg decided to cancel after all -- less than 48 hours before it was supposed to start - after most of the international runners had already arrived. While the final info regarding refunds and automatic entry to next year is still not clear due to haggling with the event's insurance company, this will likely affect the Marathon for years to come. Good did come out of runners descending on NYC anyway -- thousands of those that did arrive helped where they could and some of them held their own informal 'race' in Central Park anyway. 

Runners headed to Staten Island on what would have
 been 'race day'. Source.

That was only the beginning of the month! What an eventful November....right after all this brouhaha, we had the election, AKA Nerd Christmas, an actual real holiday I just made up. I was totally captivated along with the nation watching people decide on the future of our country....God, I love Presidential election years! Except for the commercials......those can go away and never come back.

Since I was so preoccupied, I probably didn't mourn quite as much about missing Ragnar LV Ultra with my girls. It was, however, very cool that one of my amazing teammates, April offered to run her first leg in honor of Wear Blue and a fallen soldier. She ran those miles in honor of Army Spc. Sarina Butcher, who was KIA on November 1, 2011 serving in Afghanistan. 

You will not be forgotten.

This month also brought two holidays that provided an opportunity to reflect and say Thanks. For both Veterans Day and Thanksgiving  I wanted to let our Troops know that they are appreciated and that we honor their service to our country. And for Turkey Day especially, I wanted to recognize Military Families and their sacrifice as well. 

Following my absolute favorite holiday, I got to continue participating in my newest Thanksgiving weekend tradition- the Seattle Marathon. No running for me this year but I spent a couple days volunteering and had an excellent time. It was great to be a part of it, despite not actually running....but speaking of running...

I am that much closer to it. I started PT back up this month and it was nice to find that I am actually healing and moving closer to being 'back'. Still have a month or so before running will start again, but I am working hard. Doing my exercises religiously and now walking 3x a week to start prepping my body to being able to run again. I cannot wait. I can't believe it's been 4 months now. But we are getting there....slowly but surely! 

Overall, November was a pretty eventful month! Onward to the very last month of 2012. Hopefully this will not be the last ever month in review.....but if the Mayans are right and we are all gone after the 21st, it's been real people. Ha.

No comments: