Sunday, November 25, 2012

Volunteering at the Seattle Marathon



One year ago, I ran my very first half marathon. It was cold, rainy and windy. I was nervous as hell and had no idea what to expect. Running to the finish line was an indescribable feeling. I felt powerful and strong and completely spent. I also hyperventilated just a bit and was swallowing more than a few tears.

One year later, I have to sit this one out. Stupid injuries...But the next best thing to running has to be volunteering...I spent the better part of yesterday handing out bibs at the Expo and will spend several hours today on the course as a course marshal. I had such a good time yesterday...It was fun to see all the different runners and you could totally tell the people who are experienced and who is a newbie....One girl was super excited and had so much nervous energy, I got a kick out of being the 'more experienced' one who offered some advice and encouragement. I even had my own little brush with a local quasi-celebrity, Allen Shauffler, KING 5 News anchor (our local NBC affiliate). And of course, I was super stupid...I was all "I know you!" and started looking for his bib. He's all "The question is, can you spell it?" Ha. I totally could and found it lickety split.

I was on the first shift so I was able to strategically place myself at the S-T table so I could check in my friends Bill and Mike. I also got too see a friend from high school which was nice....And I learned that as a course marshal, I have to hold a stop sign...so I decided against doing signs. But the weather seems like it may hold up...no rain in the forecast. Just cloudy and in the 40's all day. So I definitely need to dress warm. What to wear....I have a ginormous volunteer t shirt that I might wear....but it will likely be covered by a warmer layer so I might not. I also want to wear Blue....so my fellow runners know why I am yelling so loudly at them.

Anyhoo, I've got to go get ready to head out soon....more to come!


No comments: