Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New PT Plan

Update on the injury. I've been pretty quiet this month, mostly due to the once-every-four-year-occurrence of Nerd Christmas, AKA the election. It's my superbowl and I get so darn excited that everything else sort of fades into the background for me. But we've put it to bed for the time being, so time to refocus my attention.

Since my injuries were officially diagnosed in late September, I was on a fairly strict rest regimen, with the notable exception of walking 26.2 miles one Sunday last month. I wasn't going to PT and I wasn't doing my assigned exercises either. Full and complete rest. And you know what? It was really what I needed.

I was allowed to start back up on PT the last week in October but the gal I usually see was on vacation until a couple weeks ago so I just held off until she was back. I had my first appointment in over 2 months last week and I am pretty pleased to report that major progress has been made. I was starting to feel like things maybe weren't moving in the right direction...but during my apt, as I was telling Lexie all about how I felt, I realized just how much progress I'd made. She reminded me that when I last saw her, I was in pain just at rest and that sitting all day was very uncomfortable and just plain hurt sometimes. I was also icing my arse about 5 or 6 times a day.

Flash forward to today and there is no longer any resting pain or pain when I am sitting!! That is pretty major. That means that were are doing the right things to get this inflammation down. That was step one....

Moving to step two is all about strengthening the muscles of the pelvis, abdominal floor, hamstrings and glutes so that my pelvis will stay in alignment and the tendons will be better supported. We will also continue to focus on reducing inflammation and trying to stimulate new cell growth. The final step will be to reincorporate running gradually and under Lexie's supervision to make sure that my core is strong and that things are staying aligned and loose.

The plan until the end of the year is as follows:

  • NO running. Walking is ok as long as I am not in pain and no more than 4 miles 
  • PT Exercises - continue these as assigned. Focusing on abdominal floor, hamstrings and glute strengthening. Light stretching and foam rolling is ok.
  • PT Appointments - continuing twice a week until the end of the year, then we'll reduce to once a week as running is gradually reintroduced. During PT, we'll be focusing on ultrasound, massage and  making sure my core is aligned and that I am engaging it properly during my home exercises.
I am determined to be a runner again. My doctor told me that perhaps I should find another sport. I thought, no - how about I find another doctor! When I told Lexie that, she said not to fear- I can run again. But I may not be able to train like I was and may have to be ok with doing way less racing than I did over the last year. Classic case of Too Much Too Soon. More on that later....


No comments: