Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thankful

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, hands down. It's the best one because it's all about family and food and you don't have to buy stuff. The only thing I don't like about Turkey Day is the fact that it's generally understood that it's the 'official' kick off to the Christmas season. I am not a fan of that holiday for many many reasons, best told over a cocktail. But mostly, I resent that as soon as the orange stuff and candy is put away, it's all candy canes and trees with lights. My birthday is Dec. 7th and the rule in my house is that there is absolutely positively no Christmas decorations until after said date. Hell, if I didn't have a kid, I probably wouldn't have a tree at all. But I digress....

I am not a super good cook, nor do I enjoy it as much as I wish I did. But on Turkey day, that rule does not apply. I actually love cooking this meal. It's my favoritest favorite of all. Like last meal before being executed favorite. And I'll be getting started on all that soon! We will do a little 'kick off to Christmas' activity tomorrow - we plan to go watch the Macy's Holiday parade downtown Seattle and then watch the tree lighting at Westlake that evening. But there will be NO shopping. Black Friday is a terrible terrible day and I will never ever be into it. 

Post Turkey Day activities, I plan to be a part of the brand new Thanksgiving Weekend tradition that I started last year. And it's the PERFECT addition because it has nothing to do with Christmas and involves running!! Woot woot - I plan to return to the place that started it all for me- my first Half Marathon last year, the Seattle Marathon on Sunday. And my little blog didn't exist then so I don't have a fabulous race recap to link to....but I'll be writing all about my volunteer experience this year! 

That's right - since I am not able to run, I am going to be there anyway because I just can't stay away. I have a few friends doing it and even though it's not an 'official' Wear Blue race, there will be many of my fellow Blue runners out on the course and there to support them. I will be volunteering twice - on Saturday at the Expo handing out bibs and on Sunday at the actual race - as a course marshal. I am super excited b/c I think that means I get stationed somewhere out on the course and I get to cheer people on all day. I already have my signs all planned - I can't wait to make them!

All in all, I think this will be an excellent weekend. We don't have to go anywhere, I get to eat my most favorite foods of all and I get to hang out with a bunch of runners! But this holiday is my favorite for another reason. It's a chance to reflect on just how fortunate we are and to be thankful for the wonderful friends and family in our life. I am thankful for so many things....the health of my family, a daughter who makes me laugh and burst with pride on a daily basis, and that I have a good job that pays me enough for us to have the things we need....

But as much as I am thankful for all these things specific to me, I am also aware that there are so many out there who are facing really difficult holidays. Families with a missing member at the table, men and women away from those families as they fight to keep up safe worlds away from here in the dessert. I am so grateful for the sacrifices these families make every day, but today especially, on a holiday that is all about family, it's got to be tough. I will choose to remember these brave men and women and their families this holiday and will be actively thankful for that service. 

Thanks for your giving. And to all of you reading - to you and yours- Happy Thanksgiving from me and mine.

No comments: