Thursday, July 11, 2013

Joined a Gym....

So the Girl and I have been talking about joining a gym for a few months now. I needed to wait until I finished PT and Lexie cleared me for that....but now that summer is here, it was the perfect time to get started. There is one that is a few blocks from my work (only a short train ride from home) and they allow the Girl to also be a member and come and go as she pleases, even though she is still a minor.

My goals for this are to up my game in terms of cross and strength training. I plan to be there 3 days a week, mostly on my non-running days so I can do the elliptical and some circuit training. In the week since we joined, we've actually gone on running days so I've gotten to experience a treadmill for the first time.

Before now, I had only ever been on a treadmill for warm ups at PT and at the running store testing out shoes. So running a full 3 miles on one is a totally new experience. I totally get why people call it the 'dreadmill'. It's kind of awful. Like I can't stop staring at the screen to check how far I've gone. It's is also much harder. I had no idea. But running at the same exact pace, even when you are tired and would naturally slow down a little on the road, you just keep going. I am not sure I really like it.

And it's boring as hell. They have these little TV's but only get like 4 channels, so I am forced to watch CNN  (love news, just not that network) and get dizzy trying to read the subtitles in an attempt to trick my mind into staying busy. I am thinking I need to a) not go on the same one every time b/c it makes it worse that the view is exactly the same and b) perhaps try watching something on Netflix on my phone to distract myself and c) don't go on the treadmill.

I think the last choice is the winner. At least as long as it's prime outdoor running season in Seattle. I think it might not sound too bad once winter hits and every run is in the dark again. We shall see.

Part of the membership includes Personal Trainer sessions. Never really done that so it will be good I think. I had my first apt. with Zack, my trainer, yesterday and it went well. We have our first workout scheduled next week and he's going to set me up with a good circuit training routine that will cover arms, abs, back and legs.

Also part of this next phase - the Girl and I need to clean up our eating. Like a lot. It's gotten pretty bad and I've been really lazy lately. No more - there is absolutely no point to doing all this work physically if we eat crappy - the bad food will always show on your body and I'm tired of it. Big changes to come - watch out!

No comments: