Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ragnar Relay NW Passage: Recap Pt. 3

We left off at Oak Harbor HS where Van 1 bedded down for a few hours of sleep rest. I found a good spot near the wall (read: next to a plug)  in one of the gyms so I tried to get some rest but I couldn't sleep. I ended up watching a few episodes of The West Wing on my iPad so I guess that was enough 'rest'. I was also a bit worried about one our runners in Van 2 who took a bad spill during her night leg. She bit it hard and the road took some big bites out of her, but she rallied after some first aid and was back on the road to finish off her killer 8.7 miler. Like a Boss.

Lost Lucke - Runner 12 - brought it in and handed off to
 #meanjess for Van 1's final round of legs. 

#meanjess ran her 3.1 miles and then it was my turn again. My final leg was still during 'nighttime hours' so I had to wear the required gear. I am defnitely getting a new vest for next year. The one I have moves around too much while running and it's annoying to have to constantly adjust anything while you are running.

I ran Leg 2 in honor of CW3 Frank Buoniconti,
12/12/2011
WB - R2R

We all had final legs that were on the short side....which means moving between exchanges happened at a pretty rapid pace. Crazy Lady ran her 2.4 miles in a jiffy and then it was Rob's turn. At this point, we were on Whidbey Island and it was a really beautiful combination of farmland and beach scenery - often at the same time. I.D.10.T handed off to Bad Juju after his killer 8.1 miles. So almost everyone had short legs. All except Rob. He had the killer hill from last year, which we actually dubbed 'Norman's Hill' because he was the Beast who had to run it. At least it wasn't hot anymore....because hot damn he had some killer hills. But he ran them like a champ and made us all proud. 

Love these two. If I had a husband, I would 
totally make him do Ragnar with me.

Right before the above handoff, we were driving to the exchange and came across a house whose yard was filled with plastic fake animals. There was an alligator, a pig, some deer, and a bunch of other random animals. And this horse. 

I was waiting for someone with a shotgun to come out & yell at us.
But we are stealthy inappropriate picture takers. 

Bad Juju ran her final 4.5 miles all speedy like and before we knew it, we were off to Coupville HS, the final major exchange to wait for Obama Money to finish her last baby leg of 2.4 miles (which she totally deserved after running heavy miles the day before - nearly 19). 

Final Van 1 to Van 2 Handoff - Obama Money to Honey Badger.

161/196 Miles - DONE!

Happy faces - because we are finished! Nice work Van 1. Up Next - the Big Finish!

No comments: