Friday, May 11, 2012

Hot Mess - AKA - Life is Too Short

Taper weeks usually are a bit rough for runners. We get moody, antsy, nerve-wracked and in general are just unpleasant to be around. This week feels particularly so. I normally don't go into much personal stuff and keep most of my musings about hitting the pavement. But every now and then, something happens and the need to write about it feels particularly strong.

Earlier this week, I learned that a classmate that I grew up with passed away. While we weren't much more than acquaintances growing up, he had a big personality and everyone who knew him loved him. We reconnected via Facebook a few years ago and exchanged several messages, mostly talking about our kids. See, he left behind an 8 year old daughter, whom he loved fiercely. I was struck by that in our conversations-just how much this big joker loved her and was trying so hard to be the dad he thought he should be. He left this earth way too soon. But he touched a lot of lives while he was here and I wish peace and blessings for those he left behind.

Death of someone you know, close or not, reminds you how quickly the bubble can burst. How easy a life can change in an instant. To honor his memory, and those who'll miss him everyday, I will be running my race Sunday in his honor.

No comments: