Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recovery, Rest, and Pulled Muscles

AKA damage control. Training is all about adapting. In order to run farther or faster or easier, you have to push your body to a certain amount of pain and soreness to make that change, to adapt. According to this great Runner's World article I found:

"Muscles go through physical stress when we exercise, and the discomfort that stress causes may be perfectly normal," says Allan Goldfarb, Ph.D., a professor of exercise physiology at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. In fact, muscle soreness is often a good thing. "It's proof your body is adapting and growing fitter," Goldfarb says. "You're reprogramming your muscle structure and making weaker cells stronger."

So if you are feeling sore and achy after your last run, how do you know when to press on and when to back off? I have no idea. I'm a novice, so I do a lot of reading to make sure I am 'doing it right'. I kind of dig this running thing....and want to be able to do it for a long time. So that means I need to be a responsible runner and do my best to avoid injury. That involves a lot of research, since I don't really know what I'm doing the majority of the time. 

Knowing when to to push through or when you should take a rest day is one of the hardest things to determine, in my opinion. I hate losing a bunch of days to rest, mainly because I don't want to lose the fitness I've worked so hard for this year. Staying in shape is so much easier than trying to get there, right? So when faced with a twinge, or some sustained muscle soreness, I don't always make the right choice. 

During the RnR, I had some major overuse and strain of what I've now learned is my adductor magnus muscle, which is part of the hamstring family, I think.


The RnR course had some miles on two freeway/highway type roads - part of I-90 and the Alaskan Way Viaduct. So rough concrete, with some sloping sides and potholes, etc. I ran mostly to the right of Rachel, the gal I ran with during the race, so my left leg was sort at the edge off all those slopes. Which is why parts of the whole leg have been sore off and on in the two weeks since then. Left knee, ankle and yes, my upper butt muscle. I've taken it somewhat easy since then, haven't done a super long run, and have taken more rest days. 

Every time I think it's feeling better, it starts hurting again. I've been somewhat halfheartedly getting ready for Ragnar because I have this nagging feeling I should be resting this leg more than I have been. This week, since I did back to backs on Sat/Sun, I took a rest day on Monday. Ran the 5K on Tuesday and planned to run Wed and Thurs. Both days were hot (well relatively speaking for Seattle) and my leg was pretty sore to I ended up taking three rest days in a row. Planned to complete the double on the schedule yesterday....best laid plans, right?

I ran the first part...was supposed to be 8 but I ended up with 9 and was really sore by the end. Just tired, and my leg felt like lead and all pinchy beneath my butt. I iced, rested and did some time with the foam roller all to no avail. I thought I'd still be able to get in the second run - it was only 3 miles after all. I even made it as far as the next block when I decided to turn back. I seriously could not even lift my left leg. Every time I did, pain would shoot up my back and down my leg.  

Came home and immediately iced, which I've been doing pretty religiously for the past week anyway. It still hurts but I'm not limping today, so that's good. Definitely taking a rest day today though. I cannot be injured for Ragnar. I've got to be in tip top shape with fresh legs. So I will take it easy this week and try to get my scheduled training in, but will also listen to my body. And do many of the recovery tricks I've put into the rotation during my research. 

Ice
I have several ice packs in my freezer and use them constantly. Lately, I've been using one to sit on, under the above mentioned butt muscle, and two for the knees. More than a couple times a day, I prop my legs up on the coffee table and ice away. It helps. Ice baths following long runs as well, although I need a lot more ice for them to be really effective.



Foam Roller
I finally got one and for the first month had absolutely no idea what to do with it. I found a nice little video online that showed some basic moves and got the hang of it. Now I don't know how I ever ran without it before! I want to get the scary bumpy kind now, as the plain old foam just isn't doing it for me anymore. I also want a stick...even though they look like torture devices. 




Rest
Knowing when to take it easy and when to push through is an art, not a science. Different for everyone, but I am getting better about listening to my body and understanding what it's telling me.

I've got less than two weeks till Ragnar. My legs only total 15.7 miles, but I've got to run the two shorter legs after the long one....so that might end up being more tiring than I think it will. I hope that if I do things right during the next 11 days, I'll be feeling good and ready to take those miles on.
 

No comments: