Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June: In Which I Run the Rock and Roll with Wear Blue

Incredible month. Almost kept up with the mileage from last month...almost. 100.9 miles.


June was busy, very busy. I started the month out by making some changes around here. Still planning to do some tweaking, but things got really busy in a hurry after my initial tinkering. I made some tweaks to my training schedule, both before and after the Rock and Roll to accommodate the Ragnar Relay. I also did my schedule for my first full marathon....getting ahead of even the all important registration part!

You know what happens around this time of year? Besides school ending and summer starting, etc, etc. Mid year check ins on the goals and progress for the year. I am doing pretty well against my 2012 goals....pretty proud of my progress actually.


I did a new route along the waterfront and took some pictures...It ended up being a lot of fun, despite feeling all touristy.

The end of the month brought a graduation and my first Rock and Roll (half) Marathon. My girl officially graduated from middle school...*sniff sniff. I am old, right? Now that my kid is going to high school? Gahhhh....

Game On!

We ran with Wear Blue and it was a most extraordinary experience. I ran in honor of Capt. John Hallett, and the soldiers from 1-17 Infantry Battalion of the 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team out of Ft. Lewis. The Battalion and Brigade lost 41 soldiers during the yearlong deployment, and saw over 200 soldiers severely injured; twenty-three of those casualties came from 1-17.


It was my favorite race by far. Loved every minute of it. You can read all about the best part here and the full recap here. Can't wait to do it again next year....But I will rock the full this time.

Finally, I closed out the month on a runner's high and registered for my first FULL marathon-- Portland on October 7, 2012. Game on!

No comments: