Monday, July 16, 2012

Self Imposed Rest Week

Last week, I posted about my sad little pulled adductor magnus muscle. Well...it still hurts like mofo. In a way that is sort of worrying me. I don't want to jinx myself by saying all of this out loud, but I can't be anything less than tip-top shape this weekend. I have been taking it relatively easy this month. In fact, July is on tap to be my lowest total mileage since I started running again a year ago. It's already the 16th and I've run exactly 6 times, for a total of about 30 miles. Sad face.

But totally necessary. My Ragnar training plan -- total bust. But I'm ok with that. The last thing I want to do is further injure myself and put a kink in my full marathon training (that is supposed to start next week!). I ran twice during the week to much pain. I took extra rest days and figured I'd be ok for shortened back to back runs over the weekend. I did nearly 6 on Saturday and felt like I was going to die. My leg hurt so much it took everything I had to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I had this thought about, oh, every 2 minutes or so.....

So I decided as soon as I got home that the only possible way I was going to run Ragnar and not let my teammates down, was if I took total-complete-not-one-single-run-REST. So that's it. Taper/Healing week started Saturday and I pray to the sweet baby jesus that it will do the trick. I do not want to be in pain during this relay. And all the research I've done on this tells me I should have done this right after RnR....instead of pushing through like I did, hoping it would stop hurting. Oh well....better late than never!

So I'm still super excited for this race....but now I've also got major anxiety about how my body is going to hold up. Good thing I'm going to be so busy I won't be able to dwell on it! Here's to a healing, restorative, and productive rest week. Please work...please work.

Offering prayers up to the Running Gods now....

2 comments:

Beth said...

Find yourself a physical therapist that does Active Release Therapy (ART) NOW! I pulled my adductor in March and rested for a whole month with no improvement. Went to see a PT who did ART and dry needling and I was back on the road immediately. It's a tough injury to heal because your adductors are almost always engaged (while sitting, standing, walking).

TheUnforgivingMinute said...

Beth--thanks for the advice. I was starting to think that I should see a PT about this...as it just seems to be getting worse, not better. Gonna get on it now....not sure if I can do anything about it before Ragnar this weekend but I'm going to try! Thanks again! :)