Sunday, June 10, 2012

Long Run. In Pictures.

I am starting to get a wee bit bored with my long run routes. So last week, I decided to run along the waterfront instead of my usual Madison St./Lake/I-90 bridge loop. And the whole time I was running, I was wishing I'd had my camera. There were so many interesting things to see. So for yesterdays long run, I brought the camera. I felt kind of weird carrying it. And I certainly felt like a tourist taking pictures in my own city. But you know, what? It was kind of fun! So without further ado-I present to you: My 11 mile run along Seattle's waterfront.

Mile 1 - Looking over Downtown from the south. Took the heretofore unseen END of the Mt. to Sound trail. I usually go right at this point and head east. Today, I went west.

Still in the first 2 miles. This part of the trail sort of loops down by the freeway. Where you can see our lovely stadiums in the background- Safeco Field to the left, where our notsogreat Mariners play; Century Link Field on the right, where our notsogreat Seahawks and our Super Awesome Sounders play. A little Seattle locals humor: Century Link field is known as the Clink around here. For the record, we are really bad at naming stuff here. 

Around Mile 3-ish. Pier 54. Classic Seattle Waterfront, as in, this is where the tourists all go. Ivars is THE place to get some of the best seafood in the NW. And after stuffing yourself, you can head next door to do some shopping at Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, which, as the name suggests, sells weird sh*t. 

 So, there's this now. I'm not sure what to make of it, except that I am slightly embarrassed by it.

Some interesting public art. I like that the cans say PURGE....
Around Mile 5

Here it is folks: the scene of the crime. If the crime is the filming of MTV's The Real World in 1998. Apparently, it's been remodeled a bunch since they filmed so it doesn't really resemble how it appeared on the show. Am I dating myself if I reveal that I actually still watched The Real World when it aired in the late 90's? 

 Around Mile 6-At the beginning of Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park, at Myrtle Edwards Park. On the left is the old Seattle PI globe, on the right is the Space Needle peeking up over the hill.

Some tug boats and a cruise ship....at the end of the trail. Mile 7. 
Ran all the way to the Magnolia Bridge!

Looking back towards the city...

So, we used to be a 2 paper town....but a few years ago, the Seattle PI closed down it's print publication. They are still online with a super trimmed down staff and we are stuck with the Seattle Times, that has an editorial board I frequently want to throw a brick at. But I digress....I've always loved the PI Globe. It's a true landmark here in Sea-town and thank Jebus, some Historic Preservation board or other had it designated as a landmark. 

Mortified, I tell you. 

Headed home. At Mile 11-- I made it back to the Stadiums and caught the train home. 


Hope you enjoyed your tour of the Seattle Waterfront! I had a good time taking pictures...it gave me something to focus on....


No comments: