Saturday, June 23, 2012

Running in Blue - Seattle RnR

 Wear Blue Run to Remember - on the Wear Blue Mile


 I had such an phenomenal experience running this race today. It was by far, the best race experience I've had. Ever. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and so much more. Because I wasn't running for me.

The whole Wear Blue group is such a source of inspiration. The families.....the wives, mothers, fathers, husbands, brothers and sisters are running forward, one step at a time, one day at a time. I started with my girls, Jess and D, in the Wear Blue corral. We ended up running with two other lovely ladies who were running in honor of their husbands.
 
 Jess, Kryste, and Deidra

Kryste's husband, Chief Warrant Officer Three Frank Buonconti was killed in a helicopter crash in December 2011. They have 4 kids and Kryste ran her heart out for him. 

Me and Rachel, post race. Icing up those knees!

Rachel was running for her husband Army Staff Sgt Nathan Wyrick, who was killed in Afghanistan in October 2011. It was her first half marathon and I was very honored to run along side her for (almost) every step of the way....we got separated for a mile or two around the Wear Blue Mile but found each other. I am so glad that we did. I just met Rachel in the corral and found out she was running not only her first half marathon, but her first anything. And she rocked every step of it. It was an really cool experience to be able to run with someone the whole entire time and it was my privilege to cross the finish line with her after 13.1 miles. She finished so strong and ran her heart out. Nathan would be so proud of her and I know when she gets home, their boys will be proud of her as well. 


 Hanging out getting ready to start.....

It was a very humbling, inspiring, and emotional race. The five of us girls ran as a Wear Blue posse for the first 5 miles or so. When we got down to the lake, the full and half split up so Rachel and I went left for the half and Jess, D went right for the full. We somehow lost Kryste in the sea of people and I never saw her, Jess or D again. Sniff sniff. I planned to hang out and recover a bit and then walk back to mile 25 or 26 and run the girls in when they got there. I am not entirely sure what happened but I got out there by 11:30am and watched for them but somehow I missed them! I am so so bummed. I really wanted to watch them cross the finish line for this one. I waited for about an hour and a half, even though it was pouring down rain by then and all I was wearing was my red foil space cape thing. It definitely kept my top dry-ish, but I was cold and shivering to the bone by that time. So I decided to pack it in. I grabbed by bag from the gear check truck, threw on the warm dry layers I brought with me, and took the monorail back downtown. Got home and ate an huge breakfast and took the best hot shower ever. One three hour nap later and I almost feel normal!

 Me and my awesome friend Mike....he totally rocked it today.

I will do a full race recap/review tomorrow, but overall, for the size of the race, it was very well done. It didn't feel crowded, the volunteers all rocked and it was well organized. I will definitely do it again next year...but for sure the full next time!

Big Smiles-Let's do this!

No comments: