Sunday, June 3, 2012

Training Schedules

I've been slaving over this masterpiece....my training schedule for my first Full Marathon this fall. I've already planned out to the Ragnar Relay, factoring in the back to backs I'll be doing so I don't die out there. Which meant I slightly tweaked the schedule in the run up to the Rock and Roll on June 23rd.


Only three week out until RnR. I'm starting to get pretty excited. I was focusing on all the races in the summer and beyond and haven't really given this one all that much thought. It will be fun to run that one with Wear Blue and some of my Ragnar teammates. So between now and then, I've got a couple back to backs and will start transitioning back to morning runs to beat the heat (haha, relatively speaking at least).

Post RnR, I'll be focusing on Ragnar for a few weeks and then boom- it's time to start training for my full. I've probably got a little tweaking to do once I start living it. And I was actually pretty torn for a bit on how many days per week I should run for this but feel like I've got a good solid plan. I started by pluging in all the variables to Smart Coach on Runner's World and got a good base schedule. From there, I decided on how my long runs would progress from 13.1 to 26. I am big believer in tackling the full amount during training. There are a lot of plans that have you stop short around 20 but I'm not down for that. I want to do the full amount, every single sweat drenched, tear stained mile at least once so I don't die during the race. But anyway, I built the long runs, progressing about 10% a week until taper week. Rounded out the total, peaking at about 45 miles a week.


From there, I plugged in shorter runs throughout the week, sticking with Wednesdays alternating between tempo and speed workouts. I have been doing 5 days a week for about 6 months now, so I felt comfortable sticking with that. But the total daily mileage isn't a huge difference from what I've been doing. So that means, I'll be only really killing my body on a weekly basis on increasing the long run. And that will be enough really. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little scared of running anything longer than 13 miles. But I'll get there. As they say, you've got eat the elephant one bite at a time.


No comments: