Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Grand Shoe Experiment....

....Total FAIL. I need new shoes. Badly. So I did some research and decided that the previous version of my current shoe might be a good bet. Especially enticing since the price was a lot less online. Couldn't really try them on since they aren't widely available in stores anymore...So took a leap of faith and ordered them.

They came Tuesday and I was so excited to take them on a test run. Went down to the running store a few blocks from my work and picked up a new pair of inserts and was ready to go. Changed quickly when I got home and headed out. Was just planning to do an easy 3 mile loop but by mile 1, the shoes were really hurting my feet.

Like one foot was numb and the other was just in pain. Ankles and knees were next. Sharp pains. They just didn't feel right. I kept telling myself that I just need to break them in and that I should continue on and finish the run. By the time I got home, I was pretty miserable. Had to ice the knees and my feet really hurt. No bueno.

So I spent a painstaking 30 minutes trying to remove all traces of said 3 mile run from the soles of the shoes and packed them back up. Sent them back the next day.

Lesson learned. Try shoes on in person. And also, good shoes feel good right away. When I got the Brooks Ghost 4's, I fell in love at first step. They felt dreamy from the get go and I didn't want to take them off.  No amount of breaking in was going to make the Ghost 3's wearable. Will be getting another pair of 4's this week sometime. Not a moment too soon. Just updated the tracker and these puppies have 463 miles on them.

No comments: