Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mercer Island Half Marathon Recap


Official results posted. The time I saw when I crossed the finish must have been my gun time; official time- 2:13:01. Woot woot! That is pretty cool - PR by 9 minutes! 

There were races of all distances - Kids dash, 5 and 10K's and Half Marathon Walk and Run in this one. They staggered the times and the run didn't start until 9am--which is later than normal for these kinds of races. I was glad--we got there early in plenty of time to watch my best friend's son run the kids dash. He had fun and I think I've been successful in pulling in a new recruit! 


So I may have mentioned- this was a super hilly course. The course followed Mercer Way around the island, which is heavily wooded and really just one rolling hill after another. Up and down. Up and down. The weather was perfect though. It was sunny, in the high 40's and was just really beautiful, especially when you could see the lake. 

Things started to get a little more exciting around mile 9-10. There seemed to be more people out and I just got a surge of energy when I started seeing the mileage get higher and higher. The hills towards the end were no joke though. Last half mile to the finish was uphill. And there was one huge one - much steeper grade and longer it felt like - around mile 11. I kept running up the stupid hill and was pretty excited to find a Gatorade station at the top. 

Until, again, I pulled a rookie mistake. Didn't slow down enough, nor did I pinch the cup at the top and ended up literally inhaling it. Face full of Gatorade. Just like I did in the Seattle half...won't be doing that again...I hope.

Even with the hills, I enjoyed this race a lot. I felt strong the whole time and really ended up doing much better than I thought I would. A 9 minute PR. I have visions of a sub 2 hour half in my future!

 
Splits below--you can definitely tell where the biggest hills were!

Mile 1 - 9:38
Mile 2 - 9:29
Mile 3 - 9:43
Mile 4 - 10:11
Mile 5 - 9:38
Mile 6 - 9:58
Mile 7 - 10:04
Mile 8 - 9:52
Mile 9 - 9:57
Mile 10 - 10:26
Mile 11 - 10:26
Mile 12 - 10:43
Mile 13 - 9:30
Last bit - 12:32

Pictures are up now. And I look like a total weirdo  b/c I decided to wave like a cheeseball when I finally crested the top of the last hill.


No comments: