Monday, April 30, 2012

Heroes Half Race Recap

This is the face of an 8:10 pace.

 You have my permission to laugh at this picture all you want. I look like I am about to die...

The Heroes Half was HM number 3, fitting because this was the 3rd annual race, benefiting St. Jude's. The race, a 10K and Half Marathon, started and ended at the Port of Everett and ran along the Yellow Ribbon Highway up to Marysville and back. Very flat course, which was refreshing after MI last month.



This race partnered with Athletepath for a technology marriage made in heaven. Instant result, people! That's what I am talking about. You could register in advance for a text/email with your results, the race people had instant access so they could call out names of finishers as they crossed the line and they had this:

Instant results checker!

Granted, I just started my illustrious racing career,  but I've never seen this before! It was so cool....in the 'Registration Room' where they were announcing the winners, there were about a dozen of these little stations set up. You just typed in your Bib # in the little keypad and boom--results!

Happy to report two awesome things: another PR- an itty bitty one, but PR nonetheless -- finished in 2:11:33. The other was a huge first: negative splits! This was totally not on purpose at all, it just ended up happening that way.

See I met this other cool running chic-- and we talked up a storm until I had to stop for a brief Honeybucket visit and we split up, around mile 4. It made the first miles go by so quick! And I was so excited to meet another awesome superwoman running mama! We ended up having a lot in common and have done/are doing some of the same races! Hi Jess! I'll see you at Rock-n-Roll in June! 


After we split up, I was feeling pretty good and loving the pancake course so I went for it. Decided to see if I could best my MI time so towards the end, I just kicked it into gear....I kept myself going by picking off the ladies in front of me- one by one. About 6 people later, I was rounding the final loop into the finish, for a nice little PR and some killer negative splits.Thanks Speedwork! You are a bitch, but you make the kick at the end on tired legs so much easier.

This was also my first race in Blue. I was proud to honor Air Force Master Sgt. Tara Brown . I can't wait until the RnR when there is going to be a huge sea of Blue!

 Please excuse the I'm-already-home-race-pic. This was my first race with no pit crew and I haven't perfected the self timer/portrait thing quite yet.......

Overall this was an excellent, well run race. The course support was great and everything was very well organized. Favorites were the use of technology for instant results, PB & J sandwiches at the finish, and a group warm-up led by a very attractive runner dude. I don't know what it is exactly about the PB & J that just hit the spot, but it was the perfect post-race grub....I probably ate the equivalent of a sandwich and a half!

There were a few things that could have been a tiny bit better: there were a few loops at turnaround point where runners coming and going crossed paths and it got a little confusing which direction you were supposed to go. And there was very little water at the finish. Great fuel support on the course (h2o, Gatorade & Gels every 2 miles) but this is the first race I've been to where they didn't hand out bottles of water at the end. They just had the same coolers set up for self service...But aside from those two minor things, it was a great race that I'd definitely do again.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:54
Mile 2 - 11:24
Mile 3 - 10:48
Mile 4 - 10:24
Mile 5 - 9:03
Mile 6 - 9:31
Mile 7 - 9:29
*Avg Pace - 1st half: 10:01
Mile 8 - 9:20
Mile 9 - 9:25
Mile 10 - 10:06
Mile 11 - 9:45
Mile 12 - 9:18
Mile 13 - 9:05
Last bit - 8:10
*Avg Pace - 2nd Half 9:19

Overall 2:11:33; 10:02



No comments: